If you wish to contribute or participate in the discussions about articles you are invited to join SKYbrary as a registered user
From SKYbrary Wiki
Revision as of 19:00, 27 October 2008 by Josy.Verdonkschot (Text replace - 'Eurocontrol' to 'EUROCONTROL')
ESARR 4 – Risk Assessment and Mitigation in ATM
ESARR 4 develops further ESARR3 requirements on risk assessment and mitigation and documentation of the process, its results and conclusions.
This requirement concerns the use of a quantitative risk based-approach in ATM when introducing and/or planning changes to the ATM system. It covers the human, procedural and equipment (hardware, software) elements of the ATM system, as well as its environment of operations.
ESARR 4 covers the complete life-cycle of the ATM system, and, in particular, its constituent parts. The assessment of planned and/or implemented organisational or management changes to the ATM service provision are outside the scope of the requirement.
The objective of this requirement is to ensure that the risks associated with hazards in the airborne and ground components of the ATM system are systematically and formally identified, assessed, and managed within safety levels, which as a minimum, meet those approved by the designated safety regulatory authority.
The Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Mitigation Process
The hazard identification, risk assessment and mitigation process includes:
- Determination of the scope, boundaries, functions and interfaces of the constituent part being considered, as well as its environment of operations.
- Identification of ATM-related credible hazards, failure conditions and their combined effects.
- Determination of the safety objectives to be placed on the constituent part.
- Derivation of appropriate risk mitigation strategy, including development of safety requirements.
- Verification of all identified safety objectives and safety requirements.
- Collating and documenting the results, associated rationales and evidence to demonstrate that the constituent part under consideration, as well as the overall ATM system are, and will remain tolerably safe.
To achieve a harmonised implementation of the requirement by ATM service providers, a severity classification scheme for assessment of hazard effects and a risk classification scheme, as well as guidance for their application, are provided at Appendix A to ESARR 4. However, the risk classification scheme is incomplete due to the lack of required safety data. It is to be determined at national level based on past evidence on numbers of ATM related incidents.
- ESARR4 - Risk Assessment and Mitigation in ATM;
- Explanatory Material on ESARR 4 Requirements;
- ESARR 4 and Related Safety Oversight;
- A Method for States to Determine National ATM Safety Minima;
- Safety Minima Study : Review of Existing Standards and Practices;
- Aircraft Accidents/Incidents and ATM Contribution : Review and Analysis of Historical Data;
- Acceptable Means of Compliance in Relation to ESARR 4;
- Consistency between ESARR 4 and ICAO SARPs;
- Assessment of EATMP Air Navigation System Safety Assessment Methodology as a Means of Compliance with ESARR 4;
- Assessment of EUROCAE ED78A as a Means of Compliance with ESARR 4;
- Assessment of the ‘LVNL Safety Criteria' as a Means of Compliance with ESARR 4;
- Use of Safety Nets in Risk Assessment & Mitigation in ATM;
- ESARR4 Schematic Diagram.
Detailed information on ESARR 4 and related implementation guidance material can be found on EUROCONTROL website http://www.eurocontrol.int/src/public/standard_page/esarr4.html