Unauthorised Penetration of Airspace
From SKYbrary Wiki
|Content source:||EUROCONTROL Safety Alerts|
Safety Warning Message
What we have Experienced
- Infringement of controlled airspace constitutes severe operational hazard;
- Recent Safety Improvement Sub-Group (SISG) meetings have identified this hazard as one of the highest priorities for focussing the safety improvement efforts.
- SISG reported on a variety of causal factors including:
- Inappropriate map or inappropriate use of maps; sometimes even use of road maps and use of Global Positioning System (GPS);
- Adequacy of airspace allocation - availability of airspace for General Aviation (GA) (GA);
- Adequacy of airspace classification;
- Adequacy of GA pilot training and awareness;
- Infringements by military aircraft;
- Adequacy of air-ground communications - establishing communication, discipline, procedures and phraseology;
- Adverse weather conditions;
- Specific concern was reported regarding:
- Class “E” airspace infringement;
- Difficulties in establishing interfaces to General Aviation crew for providing aeronautical information and awareness;
- PPL training, licensing and proficiency maintenance.
- Review and improvement of the airspace organisation - including allocation and classification;
- Establishing interface with General Aviation and providing them with regular awareness packages;
- EUROCONTROL has launched a study to investigate the possible carriage of SSR/Mode-S transponders by light aircraft.
© European Organisation for Safety of Air Navigation (EUROCONTROL) February 2005. This alert is published by EUROCONTROL for information purposes. It may be copied in whole or in part, provided that EUROCONTROL is mentioned as the source and to the extent justified by the non-commercial use (not for sale). The information in this document may not be modified without prior written permission from EUROCONTROL. The use of the document is at the user’s sole risk and responsibility. EUROCONTROL expressly disclaim any and all warranties with respect to any content within the alert, express or implied.