From SKYbrary Wiki
Before a radar service may be commenced, it it necessary to establish the identity of aircraft under observation.
Radar identification may be carried out in several different ways:
- By use of Transponder (SSR). For example, by:
- recognition of the aircraft identification in a radar label; or,
- observing the setting of an assigned SSR code; or,
- observing the selection of Squawk IDENT;
- By comparing the reported position of the aircraft with the radar response;
- By observing the response of the aircraft to a request to turn onto a specified heading;
- By transfer of radar identification.
- ICAO Doc 4444: PANS-ATM, Chapter 8, Sections 8.6.2 and 8.6.3.