European Action Plan for the Prevention of Level Bust
From SKYbrary Wiki
Reducing Level busts is one of EUROCONTROL's highest priorities. EUROCONTROL began raising awareness of the Level Bust issue in 2001, organised series of workshops, and established a Level Bust Task Force to define the recommendations and to formulate an action plan to reduce level busts.
The level bust action plan is the product of work carried out by EUROCONTROL’s cross-industry Level Bust Task Force, which was set up in 2003. The Task Force reviewed the evidence available, identified the principal causal factors, and listened to the Air Navigation Service Providers and aircraft operators with experience in reducing level busts.
The Action Plan contains recommendations for Air Traffic Management, Air Traffic Controllers, and Aircraft Operators. It designed to reduce the frequency of level busts and reduce the risks associated with level busts. Implementation of the Action Plan will be monitored by the Task Force monitoring group reporting to the EUROCONTROL Safety Improvement Sub Group (SISG).
The Action Plan includes a series of briefing notes that give detailed information and guidance:
- Level Bust Briefing Note ATM1 - Understanding the Causes of Level Busts;
- Level Bust Briefing Note ATM2 - Reducing Level Busts;
- Level Bust Briefing Note ATM3 - Safety Reporting - ATM;
- Level Bust Briefing Note ATM4 - Airspace & Procedure Design;
- Level Bust Briefing Note GEN1 - Level Busts - Overview;
- Level Bust Briefing Note GEN2 - Pilot-Controller Communications;
- Level Bust Briefing Note GEN3 - Call-sign Confusion;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS1 - Standard Operating Procedures;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS2 - Altimeter Setting Procedures;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS3 - Standard Calls;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS4 - Aircraft Technical Equipment;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS5 - ACAS;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS6 - Human Factors;
- Level Bust Briefing Note OPS7 - Safety Reporting - Operators.
- Level Bust Safety Letter - Presentation of the Action Plan and Toolkit;
- EUROCONTROL European Action Plan for the Prevention of Level Bust;
- Level Bust - a poster for pilots;
- Level Bust - a poster for ATCOs;
- Level Bust flyer for pilots.
For further information refer to the EUROCONTROL Level Bust website