If you wish to contribute or participate in the discussions about articles you are invited to join SKYbrary as a registered user
Assessment of Pilot Responses to RA: Guidance Material
From SKYbrary Wiki
For TCAS II systems to work as designed and to resolve a risk of mid-air collision, immediate and correct flight crew response to TCAS resolution advisories (RA) is essential.
TCAS has been deployed to act as a last resort safety net to mitigate the risk of midair collisions by providing flight crews with collision avoidance advice.
IATA/EUROCONTROL Guidance Material
IATA and EUROCONTROL have jointly produced guidance on the assessment of pilot compliance to Traffic alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) RAs using Flight Data Monitoring (FDM). This document highlights that the most important single factor affecting the performance of TCAS is the response of pilots to RAs.
This guide, which is based on the ICAO provisions, recommends that operators establish procedures detailing how their flight crews should operate TCAS and respond to RAs.
The document provides general guidance on the assessment of pilot responses to TCAS RAs and contains a set of indicators and measurements to support such assessment.
- ACAS Training
- RTF Phraseology associated with TCAS RAs
- ATC Avoiding Instructions Opposite to TCAS RA
SKYclip: "Always Follow the RA"
- Assessment of Pilot Compliance with TCAS RAs, TCAS Mode Selection and Serviceability Using ATC Radar Data, EUROCONTROL, 2nd ed., 9 April 2021.
- Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) - Selected Statistical and Performance Data in Core European Space, EUROCONTROL, 9 April 2021.
- Guidance Material: Performance assessment of pilot compliance to Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) using Flight Data Monitoring (FDM), IATA and EUROCONTROL, 2nd Edition, January 2020.
- HindSight 31 - Assessment of pilot compliance with TCAS RA
- The full collection of EUROCONTROL ACAS Bulletins