Just Culture in Aviation
On this page you can find documentation regarding Just Culture in Aviation. From regulations to groups and practices - it's all here. Enjoy the reading!
Regulations are documents of legal nature which describe the way institutions, corporate entities, governments, and/or prosecution offices across the world approach the balance between safety and justice.
- European Union Regulations
- ICAO Laws and Regulations
- La instrucción judicial en supuestos de grandes catástrofes, y, en particular, de accidentes aéreos.
- Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2015/1018 Laying down a list classifying occurrences in civil aviation to be mandatorily reported according to Regulation (EU) No 376/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council
- Canadian Transportation Accident Investigation and Safety Board Act
Policies and Commitments
Policies are documents of non-legal nature which describes the way institutions, corporate entities, governments, and/or prosecution offices across the world approach the balance between safety and justice.
- Justice and Safety, by Fred Bijlsma
- CONFIDENTIAL HUMAN FACTORS INCIDENT REPORTING PROGRAMME (CHIRP)
- EUROCONTROL Model Policy Criminal Investigation and Prosecution of Aviation and Railway Incidents and Accidents
- Criminal Justice System in Italy
- Criminal Justice System in Italy- Part 2
- Just Culture Policy at ENAV, presentation by Volpini Salvestrini
- The criminal liability of Air Traffic Controllers within the criminal negligence framework: time for a new approach? by Nicola Romano and Eliana Greco
- Just Policy
In Aviation, there are many active groups, societies and associations that show awareness of Just Culture. Below are few such groups, and their contribution to Just Culture.
- ATCEUC - Air Traffic Controllers European Unions Coordination
- CANSO - Civil Air Naviation Services Organisation
- ECA - European Cockpit Association
- IFATCA - International Federation of Air Traffic Controller Associations
- IFALPA International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations
- Flight Safety Foundation
- Just Culture in Accident Investigation
- A Roadmap to Just Culture: Enhancing the Safety Environment
- European Tour
- Line Drawing
- Just Policy
- Continuous Improvement of Safety Culture – The Practice of Just Culture Decision Aid in China
- Do You Have a Safety Culture?
- Culture Shock
- Keys to Safety
- Accident Investigations Still Important
- Applying the Safety Roadmap in Africa
- Mixed Culture
For further information read the article about the contribution of aviation groups and entities to Just Culture.
Listed below you can find some aviation cases and the way they have been approached from a Just Culture perspective.
- Commentary on the National High Court (Administrative Chamber) by Prof. Ph D Irene Nadal Gómez
- Spanish Judgement on the National High Court (Administrative Chamber)
- Israeli C130j-pilots jailed over display mishap
- Just Culture within the airlines, a view from Juan Carlos Lozano on the sad case of Spanair in 2008
- PLANTEAMIENTO DE LOS PROCESOS PENALES DERIVADOS DE GRANDES CATÁSTROFES. ESPECIAL REFERENCIA AL PROCEDIMIENTO DERIVADO DEL ACCIDENTE AÉREO OCURRIDO EN MADRID EL 20-8-08.
- The Uberlingen Case: Legal Scenarios After Barcelona Court of Appeal Judgement
- The case law of the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation in the field of aviation accidents Three cases presented by Pietro Antonio Sirena, President of the 4th Penal Section of the Italian Supreme Court
- The case law of the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation in the field of aviation accidents Disaster of mount Sette Fratelli,presented by Pietro Antonio Sirena, President of the 4th Penal Section of the Italian Supreme Court
- The Cagliari Accident : Legal Scenarios After Italian Supreme Court Judgement
- B747/DC10, Japan Airlines, Suruga Bay Japan, 2001 (Legal Process - Air Traffic Controller)
- HUNT, manoeuvring, vicinity Shoreham UK, 2015
- Too Much Information?
- Shoreham: Accessing AAIB Evidence, Criminalisation And Just Culture
- A Success For Just Culture
- Just Culture: Who Are We Really Afraid Of?
- How Aviation Improves Medical Safety
- What Is A Just Culture?
- Just Culture Video- Because We Are All Humans
The articles below provide guidance on Just Culture for the aviation industry:
- A thorough introductory article by Tony Licu and Roderick van Dam
- Just Culture in Doubt by Tzvetomir Blajev
- A just culture in aviation- Who is an expert by Francis Schubert
- A new Just Culture algorithm by Sidney Dekker
- A roadmap to Just Culture
- Getting the benefit from just culture by Ian Weston
- Just culture and American jurisprudence, a view from Tom Lintner and Tom Dunlap
- Just culture in the real world:flight safety and the realities of society by Paul Reuter
- Just culture versus criminalization-moving forward. An excellent view from a Portuguese lawyer, Jerónimo Coelho dos Santos
- Why we need positive examples in our just culture, by Job Brüggen
- The case law of the Italian Supreme Court of Cassation in the field of aviation accidents Aviation and the Judiciary-The role of Expert, by Pietro Antonio Sirena, President of the 4th Penal Section of the Italian Supreme Court
- Criminalisation of air accidents and the creation of a Just Culture , by Mildred Trögeler
- Just Culture - Who Decides Over 'Just'? by ECA
- Guidance Material - Just Culture by IFATCA
Here below are some practical examples of Just Culture implementation by aviation entities:
- Instruction with Regard to Criminal Investigation and Prosecution of Civil Aviation Occurrences by the Dutch Aviation Prosecutor Office
- How Austrocontrol has implemented Just Culture
- Alitalia example of implementation
- Practical implementation at ENAIRE, a Spanish Air Navigation Service Provider
- Just Culture: Reflections from our involvement in JC Prosecutors course to go forward
- Just Culture vs. Criminal Law- Experiences with Accused Individuals
- Safety Investigations and Just Culture at AENA
- How a CAA can foster Just Culture between Aviation and Judiciary? CAA of the Republic of Poland, November 2014
- Implement Just Culture in the Swiss legal system. A dream or a real opportunity? presentation by Robin Gurt
- Just Culture from other continents – The Just Culture. Journey at Delta Air Lines and Aeromexico presentation by Trish DeMasi
- Continuous Improvement of Safety Culture – The Practice of Just Culture Decision Aid in China Airlines
- EUROCONTROL supports national judiciaries in need of aviation expertise with the first list of aviation prosecutor experts
- Just Culture Achievements in Airlines Industry by Capt B. de Courville, AIRFRANCE
- Regulation 376/2014 - Reporting, Analysis and Follow-Up of Occurrences in Civil Aviation
- ESARR 2 - Advisory Material
- Organisational Culture
- Toolkit:Safety and Justice/Consequences 2
- Toolkit:Safety and Justice/Consequences 5
- Toolkit:Safety and Justice/Getting rid of
- Toolkit:Safety and Justice/Rewarding 2