If you wish to contribute or participate in the discussions about articles you are invited to join SKYbrary as a registered user
Help:ICAO Search and Solution Centre
This is the Help Page for the ICAO Search and Solution Centre.
The ICAO Search and Solution Centre is currently under development and is available as a prototype. The ICAO Search and Solution Centre is one of the SKYbrary subsites (a.k.a. SKYbrary Solutions).
ICAO search delivers two types of results:
- Exact Matches: paragraphs that contain the exact wording or phrase entered
- AND Matches: paragraphs that contain one or more of the words entered
NB: Word and wording means literally the character sequences entered. E.g. program is not equal to programme, procedure is not equal to procedures and work is not equal to working or worked.
The resultlist is subdivided in two lists:
- an Exact Match list on top and
- an AND Match list below.
Either list sorts results per ICAO document processed and per document in a top-down order (Chapter 1 to end of document).
- ICAO search considers every word you enter. Documents are rarely about "the", "a", "an", etcetera, hence it is advised to omit these.
- Web search engines support the usage of operators like: AND, OR, NOT, "", - and +. ICAO search does not support these.
- ICAO search is not sensitive to wordcasing
- Think how the procedure or guideline you are looking for will be written. The search engine is not a human, it is a program that matches the words you give to paragraphs in documents. Use the words that are most likely to appear in the documents.
Why does it retrieve paragraphs instead of pages?
Since ICAO documentation is paid content, SKYbrary cannot provide full pages or documents to the SKYbrary users. The ICAO documents are stored as paragraphs, definitions and notes in the SKYbrary ICAO SARPS database. Hence search results will be quite precise, instead of showing a page, a specific paragraph will be shown.
The prototype enables searching through the following ICAO safety related documents:
- Annex 1 - Personnel Licensing
- Annex 2 - Rules Of The Air
- Annex 3 - Meteorological Service for International Air Navigation
- Annex 6, Part 1 - Operation of Aircraft
- Annex 6, Part 2 - Operation of Aircraft
- Annex 6, Part 3 - Operation of Aircraft
- Annex 8 - Airworthiness of Aircraft
- Annex 10, Volume II - Aeronautical Telecommunications
- Annex 10, Volume III - Aeronautical Telecommunications
- Annex 10, Volume IV - Aeronautical Telecommunications
- Annex 10, Volume V - Aeronautical Telecommunications
- Annex 11 - Air Traffic Services
- Annex 12 - Search and Rescue
- Annex 13 - Aircraft Accident and Incident Investigation
- Annex 15 - Aeronautical Information Services
- Annex 17 - Security
- Annex 18 - The Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air
- Document 4444 - Air Traffic Management
Back to ICAO Search and Solution Centre page